Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Classroom of the Future--1980's Style

I always enjoy watching movies from the Eighties and Nineties and seeing how they portray life in the Twenty-First Century. One of my favorites is Demolition Man. I especially like the part about the three seashells--classic! Obviously, the writers got a lot of it wrong, but that's what makes it fun. These three videos are a glimpse into Twenty-First Century education from the mind of the 1980s:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I'm kind of impressed at the accuracy with which these videos portray the abilities we currently have due to the advance in technology in the past 20+ years. I know in 1987 videoconferencing was not widely available (if at all). Now, with web apps like Skype or Apple's own Facetime, we can videoconference with people around the world.

The way he locates information about Marathon is similar to using websites like Wikipedia, or the many iPad apps that integrate Wikipedia into their interfaces (Qwiki, for example, even reads the text to you).

I didn't see any blatant, funny errors in these videos similar to the three seashells from Demolition Man. I think that everything in the videos is doable, if not, already being done.

No comments:

Post a Comment