Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Peasant Quest

I just beat Peasant's Quest. OK, I had the walkthrough open the entire time. But I still played from start to finish.

The graphics and music of the game are reminiscent of 8 bit RPGs I used to play as a kid. In most cases, the story really makes or breaks a game like this. I remember trudging through hours of gameplay to try to beat the evil monster at the end or save the princess, all along the way you have to follow the story like a detective, trying to figure out which item you need for the next part of the quest, where it is located, who you have to talk to in order to obtain it, fighting monsters all along the way. I really learned a lot about critical thinking and problem solving through this type of game. Peasant's Quest is a little different in that the player isn't locked down with certain functions and it isn't obvious (at all) what you're supposed to do next. One could spend hours meaningless meandering, trying to figure out where to go and what to do (hence my use of the walkthrough).


No comments:

Post a Comment