Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Covert Front

Covert Front is a little less fun (in my opinion) than Peasant's Quest. I've tried to get into games like this before--the type where you are shown a screen at a time and are allowed to interact with the objects in the room. This can be through reading papers left on a table, picking up items off of shelves, or opening and walking through doors. I remember a noire style game like this I used to play on the NES, though I don't remember the name (because I didn't play it very much/long). Though I personally dislike this type of game, I do see the merit it has for learning. Players are given the opportunity to use critical thinking and problem solving skills in order to progress through the game. For example, I found some scissors in a box outside of a house and picked them up. Later, on the other side of the house, I found a power circuit that I was able to "short out" with the scissors in order to get the door to open. Had I not been searching every nook and cranny of the environment, I wouldn't have found the scissors and been able to get into the house to proceed further into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment